Wednesday, February 18, 2009

I'm where exactly?

As I mentioned earlier, I have iPhone along for the ride, although I'm not allowing it to connect to the cell network.  As an iPod Touch though, it's still quite effective when it comes to web browsing and email checking.  One unexpected piece of functionality is that the 'find my location' function in Google Maps still works over here.  (A company by the name of Skyhook Wireless can find a location based on the nearby wifi sources)

When I first arrived, the only wifi signal belonged to a neighbor, and the iPhone had the location nailed within half a block.  After setting up a wireless router Skyhook believes to be located in Michigan in this apartment, the iPhone is now thoroughly confused and no longer provides a location.  It makes sense - if there are only two signals to go by, and they're on different sides of the planet, I'd rather have the phone not make a decision than guess wrong!

No comments:

Post a Comment