Saturday, February 7, 2009

World Business Class

I've never had the distinction of flying anywhere First Class, and in wonderfully unexpected move A dipped into her considerable well of frequent flyer miles and upgraded my flight.  As if I didn't have enough reasons to be excited about this trip already!

The upgrade in some respects is actually quite practical.  I'm a tall guy, and not sitting with my knees jammed into the seat in front of me for fourteen hours is going to be a delightful change.  Also on the logistics front, upgraded status means I can bring an additional piece of luggage, and the acceptable weight on all three is increased.  The relaxed restrictions on packing will be greatly appreciated as I get my bags together in the next few days.

Then there's the ridiculous aspects of the premium travel.  With Detroit being NWA's hub, the direct flight to Nagoya is one of their flagship runs.  In the same way the Ritz in NY, NY is classier than the Ritz in Dearborn, MI, the service on this flight seems gratuitous even when compared to other first class flights.  A run-down of last month's menu for that flight:

 dinner

  • Salmon and lemon-chive crostini, Asian beef tenderloin skewer, mixed nuts
  • Caesar salad with Romaine, shaved parmesan, Roma tomatoes and toasted pine nuts
  • Assorted breads

  • Beef tenderloin with blue cheese crust, roasted carrots, Tuscan potato wedges and broccolini or
  • Spinach-Boursin stuffed chicken breast, haricot vert, white and wild rice medley or
  • Maple-smoked salmon with mashed potatoes, edamame and mixed vegetables 

 dessert

  • Fresh fruit
  • Rembrandt extra-aged gouda and havarti
  • Cherry-vanilla ice cream in a chocolate-dipped waffle cup
  • Your choice of port wine, liqueurs, coffee or Stash® tea

mid-flight snack

  • Ramen noodles, pepperoni pizza or yogurt and fruit parfait
  • Light snacks available from our skybreak basket located in the galley. Please help yourself.

on arrival

  • Fresh fruit and warm breads
  • Coffee or a selection of Stash® tea
  • Cheddar and bacon omelet with roasted red potatoes and pork sausage links or
  • Raisin Bran cereal or
  • Cold plate of ginger pork, lemon-cilantro shrimp, grilled pineapple chutney, sweet potato salad and chili-orange broccoli

And those are just the listed items, not including the other option of the Japanese style dinner, never mind the wine list and root beer floats I've heard about.  Complete madness!  (And also quite exciting)  Some part of me will feel slightly embarrassed when I break out my huge camera to take a photo of each course I'm served, but it will be overwhelmed by the part that's giggling the whole time and enjoying itself too much to care.

2 comments:

  1. Wait. Didn't you tell me about getting an upgrade when you were traveling to London once?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was back when there were three tiers on the plane; coach, business, and first. We were upgraded to business, which meant the seats were spaced a bit further apart, but there wasn't any additional service. To put the time period in perspective, the crew invited me to have a tour of the cockpit :-P

    ReplyDelete