Monday, February 23, 2009

Shopping Shenanigans

After mentioning that I got into trouble for taking photos in the department store in my caption for this photo over on Flickr, I've gotten a few questions about what exactly went down.

The fact is I'm not exactly inconspicuous over here. I'm about a foot taller than what seems to be the average height, and at the time I had this thing dangling around my neck. (not my photo) That I started shooting in the department of the store with the highest staff presence (costumes) probably also didn't help. After I snapped this one photo of the spandex body suits, a clerk very politely asked me not to take photos, and I was happy to oblige.

Walking around the store later, I spotted small signs which actually mention their 'no photos' policy, so I was feeling a bit embarrassed I was unknowingly going against their rules. I guess it makes sense, considering even stores at home wouldn't exactly take kindly to you browsing the store with photographic hardware like that visible, let alone using it.

When it comes down to it, I'll take mild embarrassment to missing a good photo every time. Even when it doesn't work out, it makes for a good story.

1 comment:

  1. I got kicked out of the Levi's store at somerset while taking pictures for a college project. Those not familiar with CCS should know that stock photos are off limits to graphic design students.

    I took pics in the store. They asked me not to, so I stopped. I continued to grab a few pairs of jeans and "try them on" in the dressing room.

    I quickly realized that the store was making full use of their right to watch me via dressing room cameras. I was asked to leave the store immediately.

    hehe... got the pics I wanted ;)

    ReplyDelete