Monday, January 26, 2009

Skype FTW?

One of the hurdles of being gone for three months is staying in touch with the folks at home.  I've already mentioned Google Talk as being the perfect tool for social communication, but when it comes to business concerns I figured having a no-install-required means of synchronous communication was the way to go.  What better way to handle that little task than the phone?

I love my iPhone, and AT&T is certainly eager to help you use their international network while traveling.  Unfortunately this eagerness comes from the fact that AT&T will utterly ream you for the 'privilege' of using your existing phone abroad.  (The iPhone will still be coming along, but only for weezing wifi)  After a bit of research, I settled on Skype.  For about $20, I was able to set up a local Detroit phone number which will ring my computer, and from which calls made on my computer appear to be made from.  That's three months of unlimited calls to the US and Canada for about $20.  (Ever get the impression the wireless carriers are overcharging just a bit?)  I'll be able to get in touch with anyone not sporting a camera on their computer with a simple phone call!

That is, of course, if it works acceptably in Japan.  I've asked A to help me test this week, so I'll know in advance.  If it works, I'm set on the communication front!  If it fails, I'm out $20 and will be pranking people from a number that will go dead in three months.  Either way, I'm counting this VoIP experiment as a win. 

2 comments:

  1. Skype is what we use to stay in touch with our friends and family back in the States. I'd definitely recommend it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We tested it out this morning and it works like a charm. I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete