Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Time Zones

Compared to Detroit, Nagoya is either thirteen or fourteen hours ahead, depending on whether Daylight Savings Time is being observed in the US.  This point has been particularly important to consider, since synchonous communication can really only happen at the beginning or end of the day.  I've been communicating overseas for nearly six months now, and I'm still not used to the premise of saying 'Have a good day!' when I'm headed to bed.

In my past travels the only consideration I had of time zones was resetting my watch while I was on the plane so it was correct when we landed.  There was never anything so pressing that it couldn't wait do be dealt with until I returned home.  This time around, I worry that circumstance is unavoidable - I'm almost certain something will come up that needs my immediate attention in a three month span of time.  While having a few pressing events pop up is likely, I'm working hard now to keep me being up during Detroit working hours (in the middle of the night) to the absolute minimum!

No comments:

Post a Comment