Sunday, January 25, 2009

Noise Canceling Headphones

A while ago (with this trip in the back of my mind) I invested in a pair of noise canceling headphones that I've been using at the office. I was initially skeptical of the technology's effectiveness, but I've been nothing but satisfied with their performance.

The model that I decided to go with is the Audio-Technica ATH-ANC7. They seem to generally be reviewed at the same level as the Bose models, but with a significantly lower price tag. Whether it's drowning out the noisiness of travel, or concealing the distractions of the office, they perform admirably.

A word of caution that I suspect is a potential hazard in all noise canceling headphones: remember to equalize the pressure in your ears while on a plane. The first time I flew with these headphones I put them on shortly after takeoff and comfortably fell asleep during our ascent. My initial comfort had turned into a headache later in the flight when I woke up - the headphones had actually allowed me to be TOO comfortable; I was sleeping soundly and doing nothing for any equalizing of pressure in my head.

If you travel semi-frequently or listen to music at work, I'd recommend these as the top choice. I know their comfort and sound quality will be appreciated on the nearly fourteen hour flight!

No comments:

Post a Comment