Thursday, January 22, 2009

Omiyagi

One of my coworkers mentioned earlier this week that I'd have to bring back small, cool Japanese gifts for people on our team. Something clicked in my head - Ding! I know about that practice! The Japanese term for small gifts from traveling is 'omiyagi'. They seem to be primarily sweets, and are given to let the people you left behind know you were thinking about them.

I've heard that the pressure to pick up omiyagi leads some Japanese to keep their vacation travel under wraps; non-travelers can't expect a gift if they don't know you're gone! I feel like my time out of the office is going to be a little conspicuous, so I'll be doubly indebted in the omiyagi department. It'll have to be awesome, something combining chocolate and robots perhaps?

No comments:

Post a Comment