Thursday, April 2, 2009

Bathroom etiquette

It seems like every time I use a bathroom in one of the subways, just as I get down to business an older woman comes in and starts puttering around cleaning. I might have been more concerned had the bathroom not been quite crowded the first time it happened - the other bathroom patrons went about their business like she wasn't there. It's decidedly stranger when you're alone, and someone of the opposite gender comes in to start mopping the floors. At home there'd be jail time, here there's an apology for the wet floor.

Another good example of lacking bathroom modesty is the arrangement shown in this photo: no bathroom door. This facility was at a botanical garden in Tokyo, and while the bathroom was sort of out of the way, it still seems hard to justify this arrangement. I never anticipated my American sense of bathroom privacy would have me so out of place here!

No comments:

Post a Comment